Direct Debit Request - Service Agreement
for Vehicle Registration Renewals
(November 2017 version)
This is Your Direct Debit Request Service Agreement which sets out the terms and conditions to allow Us to debit funds directly from Your Account for the renewal of Your motor vehicle registration.
We recommend that You download and keep this Agreement for future reference. The Agreement forms part of the terms and conditions of Your Direct Debit Request and should be read in conjunction with Your Direct Debit Request authorisation.
Please note that this Agreement is to allow You to make direct debit payments to Us as part of Your renewal of the registration of Your vehicle under the Motor Vehicles Act 1959 (SA). This Agreement only relates to the method of payment, the amount of the applicable registration fee (and the eligibility for and application of any concessions) are dealt with separately under the Motor Vehicles Act and Regulations.
It remains at all times the responsibility of the owner to ensure that their motor vehicle is registered and that they comply with South Australian Law. For information about the ownership and registration of motor vehicles in South Australia and what You may need to do to register Your vehicle please refer to www.sa.gov.au/ezyreg, call 13 10 84 or visit a Service SA Customer Service Centre (a locality guide is available on www.sa.gov.au).
In this Agreement unless a contrary intent is evident:
- "Account" means the account nominated in your Direct Debit Request held by Your Financial Institution from which We are authorised to arrange for funds to be Debited (please note you may change your nominated Account in accordance with clause 4 of this Agreement);
- "Contact Method" means the e-mail address or Australian mobile phone number for the receipt of communications from Us under this Agreement nominated by You in Your Direct Debit Request;
- "Agreement" means Your Direct Debit Request and this Direct Debit Request Service Agreement between You and Us;
- "Business Day" means a day other than a Saturday or Sunday or a public holiday in South Australia;
- "Debit Day" means the day that payment by You is due;
- "Debit Payment" means a particular transaction where a debit is made;
- "Direct Debit Request" means the document titled "Direct Debit Request" between Us and You;
- "Us" or "We" or "Our" means the Crown in Right of the State of South Australia represented by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles and acting through the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure as well as Service SA a division of the Department of the Premier and Cabinet (EzyReg Renewal APCA ID 404858) (ABN: 92 366 288 135);
- "You" or "Your" means the customer who has signed (or authorised by other means) the Direct Debit Request; and
- "Your Financial Institution" means the financial institution nominated by You on Your Direct Debit Request at which the Account is maintained.
2. Debiting Your Account
- By agreeing to the Direct Debit Request, by the method presented, You are authorising Us to arrange for funds to be debited from Your Account. You should refer to Your Direct Debit Request and this Agreement for the terms of the arrangement between Us and You.
- We will only arrange for funds to be debited from Your Account as authorised in the Direct Debit Request. As part of the process to effect the periodic renewal of Your motor vehicle We will continue to rely on Your authority to directly debit funds from Your Account to pay for the renewal of Your motor vehicle in accordance with Your Direct Debit Request until this arrangement is cancelled.
- As a courtesy We may send to Your nominated Contact Method via e-mail or SMS (as nominated by You) notices detailing the amount, due date and vehicle to be registered as well as a notice informing You if this direct debit arrangement is unable to proceed and must be cancelled.
- If the Debit Day falls on a day that is not a Business Day, We may direct Your Financial Institution to debit Your Account on the following Business Day. If You are uncertain as to when a debit will be processed to Your Account You may enquire directly with Your Financial Institution.
3. Changes by Us and Cancellation
- We may vary any details of this Agreement or a Direct Debit Request at any time by giving You at least 14 days written notice (such notice may be given electronically to Your nominated e-mail address and/or by way of SMS to Your nominated mobile telephone number).
- We may immediately cancel this Agreement in the event that We are unable for whatever reason to process (and/or accept) Your application (and/or Debit Payment) for renewal of the registration for Your motor vehicle.
- This Agreement will be cancelled in the event that You opt to apply (and make payment) for the registration of Your motor vehicle by alternate means outside of the direct debit scheme.
- If the Agreement is cancelled by Us or You, Your motor vehicle will no longer be subject to the direct debit scheme and You will need to apply (and arrange payment for) the registration of Your motor vehicle by alternate means (please refer to www.sa.gov.au/ezyreg for other methods by which You may renew the registration of Your motor vehicle).
4. Changes by You
- Subject to 4.b. and 4.c. You may change the arrangements under the Direct Debit request by:
- Logging on to your "EzyReg" account to access the information or make changes
For assistance You may contact Service SA by:
- calling 13 10 84;
- emailing email@example.com
Mailing us at:
GPO Box 1533
ADELAIDE 5001; or
- by visiting a Service SA Customer Service Centre.
- If You wish to stop a Debit Payment and cancel Your Agreement with Us, You must do so via your EzyReg Account at least 7 days before the next Debit Day. Alternatively You may notify Us in writing at least 7 days before the next Debit Day.
- Each Debit Payment is part of the periodic renewal of the registration of Your motor vehicle and for this reason You may not elect to suspend or defer a Debit Payment. If a Debit Payment is not processed and this Agreement is cancelled then You will need to apply (and arrange payment) for the registration of Your motor vehicle by alternate means.
5. Your Obligations
- It is Your responsibility to ensure that there are sufficient clear funds available in Your Account to allow a Debit Payment to be made in accordance with the Direct Debit Request.
- If there are insufficient clear funds in Your Account to meet a Debit Payment:
- You may be charged a fee and/or interest by Your Financial Institution;
- You may also incur fees imposed or incurred by Us;
- You must arrange for payment to be made by another method or if a second attempt to debit Your Account is to be made by Us, arrange for sufficient clear funds to be in Your Account by the second Payment Date so that we can process the Debit Payment.
Importantly please note that if Your payment fails Your vehicle may become unregistered.
- You should check Your nominated Account's statement to verify the amounts debited from Your Account are correct.
- If We are liable to pay goods and services tax ("GST") on a supply made in connection with this Agreement, then You agree to pay Us on demand an amount equal to the consideration payable for the supply multiplied by the prevailing GST rate.
- You must:
- notify Us if the nominated account is changed, transferred or closed;
- notify Us if You are no longer an authorised signatory;
- make sure Your payments are up-to-date whether a notice is received from us or not;
- notify Us if You sell (or otherwise transfer the ownership of) Your vehicle;
- notify Us if there is a change to Your Input Tax Credit entitlement;
- notify Us if there is a change in any concession You may have the benefit of;
- notify Us if Your address, or the garage address of Your vehicle changes; and
- notify Us if Your email address or mobile phone number changes.
When you pay online, Your payment is processed via the South Australian Government's secure e-commerce provider. All information is transmitted using standard encryption processes. We recommend that You check the South Australian Government's e-commerce providers EzyReg Terms and Conditions on the sa.gov.au website.
- If You believe there has been an error in debiting Your Account You should notify Service SA directly on ph: 13 10 84 and confirm that notice in writing as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can resolve Your query more quickly. If we cannot resolve the matter You can still refer it to Your Financial Institution which will obtain details from You of the disputed transaction and may lodge a claim on Your behalf.
- If We conclude as a result of our investigations that Your Account has been incorrectly debited We will arrange for Your Account to be reimbursed with the incorrectly debited amount. We will also notify you in writing of the amount by which Your Account has been adjusted.
- If We conclude as a result of our investigations that Your Account has not been incorrectly debited We will provide You with reasons and any evidence for this finding in writing.
You should check:
- with Your Financial Institution to find out whether or not direct debiting through the bulk electronic clearing system (BECS) is available for Your Account, as direct debiting is not available on all accounts offered by Financial Institutions;
- Your account details against a recent account statement to ensure they are correct;
- with Your Financial Institution, if You are unsure how to complete the account details on the Direct Debit Request; and
- with Your Financial Institution for any fees or charges that they may charge You for use of direct debit including voiding fees.
- If it is necessary to reverse a transaction paid via the direct debit scheme, monies will be returned to the payment source.
- Refunds of unused portions of vehicle registration will be credited to the registered owner using existing processes outside of the direct debit scheme.
- We will keep the information (including Your Account details) ("Information") set out in Your Direct Debit Request application confidential.
- We will make reasonable efforts to keep the Information secure and to ensure that any of Our employees or agents who have access to the Information do not make any unauthorised use, modification, reproduction or disclosure of the Information.
- We may disclose the Information:
- with Your prior written consent;
- to the extent required by Law;
- for the purpose of this Agreement (including disclosing Information in connection with any query or claim made relating to an alleged incorrect or wrongful debit); and
- to the person nominated in the Direct Debit Request.
The information requested on Your Direct Debit Request is for the purpose of providing You with direct debit payment facilities. Your personal information set out on Your Direct Debit Request will only be used or disclosed in accordance with the State Government Information Privacy Principles.
If You wish to update or access the information that we hold about You, please:
- access Your "EzyReg" account, or;
- call 13 10 84, or;
- email email@example.com or;
- visit a Service SA Customer Service Centre.
- If You wish to notify us in writing about anything relating to this Agreement, You should e-mail Service SA at firstname.lastname@example.org or send to:
GPO Box 1533
- We will notify You by sending a notice to the e-mail address or by way of SMS to the mobile phone number You have nominated in Your Direct Debit Request.
- Any notice sent by post will be deemed to have been received on the third Business Day after posting.
- Any electronic notice sent by Us to You is deemed to have been received (or service effected) at the time of dispatch determined in accordance with section 13 of the Electronic Transactions Act 2000 (SA).
13. Applicable Law & Jurisdiction of Courts
The laws in force in South Australia apply to this Agreement. The courts of South Australia have non exclusive jurisdiction to determine any proceeding in relation to this Agreement.